"A Rude Awakening" by D. S. Vanderbilt

Forum concerning the apparent demise of manners and social etiquette in America. Has it occurred, is it now occurring? Why? What do YOU think? Please post your comments and suggestions. I thank you, D. S. Vanderbilt

Monday, January 02, 2017

The New Year's Eve Party Invitation That Never Came

Two evenings ago (New Year's Eve) I learned that I was NOT invited to a special N.Y.E. party being held at a friend's    home nearby. I was surprised to have felt "devastated", stunned by the seemingly glaring omission which, to me, seemed incredulous.  

Searching my soul, I arrived at three possible reasons for my "exclusion": 

1. It was a special event that dictated certain people of an "inner circle" 

2. I was not included because something or someone present would make me uncomfortable and/or other guests uncomfortable  

3. An obvious "error" had be made for the oversight 

4. I was simply NOT wanted  

I'll address these thoughts in this same order: 

1. True- it MIGHT have been a "special event" which was to include only a select group of people. After all, people involved may have different groups of interests, causes or relationships.

2. Level of "comfort":   OK, true there MIGHT have been someone present who could "inflame" the evening with   my presence. The host and guests do have the right to enjoy a peaceful and strressless occasion. Therefore, my exclusion may have een for MY level of comfort...or the level of comfort for the other guests. 
There might also have been a "limit" to the number of guests to be invited...due to space and other contraints  

3. People make errors....mistakes ALL the time. Nothing personal....oh, but I don't make mistakes....RIGHT!! 

4. WHAT do you mean I am NOT "wanted"?!  OK, time to search your own "value added" qualities. 
Would MY presence really have enhanced the event? Not everyone can be invited to every event all the time. So, just "get over it". The sense of "self"- ego is tough to comprehend and acknowledge. Swallow your pride and hope for better luck next time. The next event will come along, and you'll be back "in the fold". 

OK, I'd just BETTER be! 

D.S. Vanderbilt
Rodeo, NM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home